- Check out the list of this fall's Chamber and Community events brought to you by the Greater Springfield Chamber of Commerce.
- Springfield Town Center Vision
- Revitalization Committee Presentation: Springfield Garage
- Springfield Town Center is Open
The first phase of a $200 million transformation of the aging Springfield Mall into the Springfield Town Center was completed in October 2014. Improvements included new facades, redesigned entrances and an outdoor promenade with shopping and restaurants, many of which have cafe-style outdoor seating. The entire interior of the former mall was redesigned and upgraded with new finishes along with a food court and state-of-the-art movie theater. Finally, two outdoor plazas were created. Future phases will include redevelopment of the surface parking lots into new residential, retail, office and hotel uses along with new parks and plazas and infrastructure improvements.
- Springfield Annual Revitalization Report, August 2015
- Springfield Garage Update – Presented to the Transportation Association of Greater Springfield- October 5, 2016
- Springfield Update – Presented to the Transportation Association of Greater Springfield- August 8, 2014
- Hotel Surge in Springfield
Demand for hotel space comes from several sources including Fort Belvoir, the new National Geospatial Intelligence Agency, federal agencies, contractors, and several nearby office parks. Additionally, the Franconia-Springfield Metro Station makes Springfield's hotels accessible to Washington D.C.'s travelers at an affordable rate.
Demand for hotel suites and extended stays in the Springfield area has led to the construction of three new hotels which will complement an already significant market. In 2009, Residence Inn opened an all-suites hotel with 160 rooms on Old Keene Mill Road in Central Springfield. In March 2013, Homewood Suites opened 165 rooms adjacent to the Residence Inn. Finally, in August 2013, Embassy Suites opened in neighboring Newington with 219 rooms and a 5,700 square feet meeting space (image below). When added to the existing stock at nine nearby hotels, the Springfield area is home to 2084 rooms.
Future plans include a large hotel at the new Springfield Town Center on the East side of the I-95.
|Embassy Suites Hotel|
© 2012 OCR Fairfax County, Virginia